Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Ugly Reality of Bed Rest

I've been on bed rest for 30 days, I have 12 left.

But who's counting?

Oh wait, I am. EVERY DAY.

A ring left for each day... I still need to take today's off.

Now, in reality, I know it hasn't been that bad.

After Jen left, my MIL Bev came out to keep me company. I learned that she had been planning a surprise baby shower for me in Idaho during the weekend of Phil's (Eric's brother) wedding. Sadly, since I'm obviously not allowed to travel hundreds of miles, we missed out on the festivities and if you know ANYTHING about me, I'm mostly sad I had to miss an opportunity to be the center of attention. ;) But really, I am bummed. I would have loved to have been there for the marriage and see everyone... mostly Paislen and Kathryn's dress.

Bev brought out some of the decorations she'd been making for the shower so when I got home from the hospital, I found these:
"Welcome Baby" Banner
"Diaper cake" filled with items we were in desperate need of (i.e. bottles, towels, blankets)
and she also brought some Preemie sized clothes bc the Drs are sure I'm not going to make it to term (although, with my luck, they'll take me off the medication and bed rest and I'll end up overdue and they'll have to induce me at 42 weeks when I'm huge. This might be my worst fear at this point. Have I mentioned Eric weighed 10 lbs 4 oz when he was born? And on the ultrasound, Taylor looks very Teichert... you should see the width of her feet...). So, assuming the Drs are correct, this is the outfit she'll be coming home from the hospital in. It is so tiny it looks like doll clothes. We can't wait to put her in them and finally hold her.
So, by way of announcement, her name will be Taylor. Jen and I made this during the hospital stay and I've finished since I've been home. I'm not sure it will actually be displayed anywhere bc it's not the most beautiful creation I've seen, but it passed the time. I realize the alliteration of Taylor Teichert might not be some ppl's favorite, but I like it. I mean, I was Michelle Miller for awhile there, and it served me well.

After Bev left, my Grammy Miller came out and doted on me hand and foot. My apartment was SPOTLESS, meals were frozen for later consumption and she was willing to just sit and chat with me. She is the greatest Grandma ever. She even got all of Taylor's things organized and got the hospital bags packed up for whenever we'll need them.

And, on top of all of this service we've received, our ward at church has been outstanding. They have been bringing us meals (DELICIOUS, award-winning meals), checking in on me, coming to chat with me, bringing me movies, magazines, books and chocolate. Seriously, we are so blessed.

But despite all of that (bc I really am grateful for everything and having kept her in thus far or even having the opportunity to be pregnant), let me complain:

I'm huge and can hardly move as I grow exponentially larger each day and my muscles continue to atrophy. It is seriously so hard to sit up or stand up if I lay down on the floor.

Our leather couch is about the most uncomfortable furniture to lay on for hours a day because it has absolutely no give. I'd trade it at any moment for a soft, fabric couch even in the most hideous floral print you could find.

I feel bad for Eric bc he has to wait on me ALL DAY LONG. I swear he just sits down when I run out of water, or need my computer charged, or laundry done, or accidentally dump chips on the floor. Then, I just have to look at him and hope he still loves me enough to endure (and I never get dressed or wear make-up so I know the ice gets thinner every day).

Lastly, my largest complaint (bc I can handle the boredom pretty well) is the

LACK OF SLEEP!

I swear, I am going to die if I don't find a solution soon. (That solution may be in the form of Tylenol PM.) First, I lay around all day so I don't exactly wear myself out. As I struggle to get comfortable, I flip over about a million times (which in itself is painful as all my ligaments readjust). Then, just as I get into a decent position, I realize I'm hungry, or thirsty, or Taylor starts to kick with all the fury she can muster, or she gets violent hiccups. Either way, the cycle takes about 2 hours to run its course and then I realize I need to pee. I get back in bed and suddenly... I'm hungry... and thirsty... and Taylor's awake again kicking my stomach so I'm nauseous... and then it finally stops when I start feeling hiccups... and then I have to pee...

IT IS RIDICULOUS!

I even bought this special, $60 pregnancy pillow bc everyone said it would solve all my problems. It hasn't. Well, except that it may have bought me a little extra patience from Eric. He seems to have gotten the hang of "bed rest" much better.


He calls this particular position with the pillow: "Diva Dozing"
and no, I didn't make that up.

2 comments:

  1. Plus side of you being on bed rest? You blog more. I'm excited to be reading about Taylor soon. P.S. I have to admit that I was a little confused by the last picture, I was like who is that guy sleeping next to Eric, but don't worry I'm smart, I figured out that he was sleeping in front of a mirror. What a little diva... Too bad that pillow isn't working for you, it looks like a pregnant lady's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im in love with this post. i will read it forever, every day, and laugh.

    ReplyDelete